Nader's Nadir

Ralph Nader is back!

Ralph Nader goes on NBC’s Meet the Press tomorrow morning, stoking speculation that the consumer advocate is gearing up for another presidential bid.
[...]
An email to supporters from Nader’s presidential exploratory committee ticked off a list of issues that have been “pulled off the table by the corporatized political machines in this momentous election year,” including defense budget cuts, opposition to nuclear power, and a single-payer national health insurance system.


well, single-payer would be great, but opposition to nuclear power? defense budget cuts? It's like he's stuck in 1962. He's the candidate for Counterpunch, and exhibit A of why I think the Progressive movement is fundamentally conservative (and stands apart from the liberal mainstream).

As I argued previously, in one sense Nader's run will benefit the Democratic nominee, because it will permit them to distance themselves from the ultraleft fringe and make a more compelling case for the independent vote in the general election.

Most of the people who would vote for Nader are the ones for whom even Edwards was too conservative. The turnout from these types is going to be miniscule. The only reason Nader had an impact in 2000 was because he drew enough independent voters to him. This year with Obama (likely) and McCain fighting over the independent vote, Nader wont get any oxygen. Nader can't improve on his 2004 performance and will likely do even worse this time around. So let the Progressive Left choo-choo-choose Ralph as they please. This election is the Liberal Moment, and it's our turn. We won't be denied.

Comments

Nick Istre said…
Well, I won't make the mistake of voting for him this time (Well, I did so in 2000 because I really didn't like either candidate and I didn't look too closely at Nader's positions outside of he wasn't "one of them"... Sorry about that.)

As one who always described himself as a conservative leaning constitutionalist who ended up voting for Nader in 2000 and for the Libertarian ticket in 2004, I really want to vote for Obama this time around. Policy-wise, I'd probably be closest to Ron Paul, but I don't think he would make a good president; I feel Dr. Paul (and more representatives like him) would better serve the country in the Legislature. But in the past year, I've changed my view of how to choose someone for President. Now, I look less at their policies and more for someone who would lead with wisdom and intelligence. And that is something I see in Obama more than any of the other potential candidates.

Though, in truth, it's likely that I'd be voting for Hillary anyways if she ended up as the Democratic nominee, though it becomes more of a "lesser of two evils" vote there. That really depends on how she wins it, though (I.E., the super-delegates fiasco...)

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism