The Possibility of The Unthinkable

Someone needs the backbone to think the unthinkable.

We may actually lose Iraq.

The assault on Fallujah seems to have been a turning point in Iraqi public opinion. Former General (and drug czar) Barry McCaffrey was on CNN last week saying we don't have Baghdad, that we don't control our supply lines, and we "have to win" Fallujah.

The horror of what is happening came to me, finally, in "A View From A Broad," a diary written by "Ginmar" launched in 2002. When it started, she was much like you or I, as in this entry from December 2, 2002:

You know, I never thought I'd be happy it's Monday, but I'm home and I just got some sleep curled up on featherbeds under fat quilts and cats.

But she was career military. She was called up. And this week she was in a very long drawn-out ambush somewhere near Baghdad. (She didn't say where -- she's a patriot.) She didn't explain how she got out, but the horror went on-and-on.

And this is the scary part. A day after I read that post, she locked it up. You can't read it. And she wrote this:

I had to lock that post. It's just getting too freaky now, and frankly, I have enough on my mind, you know? But I'll be friending everybody, and so on...And that's it for today.

The stonewall of denial doesn't stop at Condi Rice. It's in our media and (worse) it's in our souls. No one in America is willing to face the unthinkable, that we may have transformed ourselves, in one year, from the liberators of Iraq into its oppressors.

But those blinders don't exist elsewhere. They don't exist in the Middle East, or in Europe, or in Asia. Right now a delegation from the Iraq Governing Council is apparently in Fallujah, trying to get peace talks started.

We will not enter them from a position of strength. McCaffrey said "we have to win." We haven't won.

So who has the backbone to think the unthinkable?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism