Funding Kerry

I've added a Kerry donation button at the left, but in the interest of disclosure I have decided that I will not be donating money to the Kerry campaign for the immediate future. I see my donations to Dean as an investment that has paid off, in that Kerry's platform has noticeably shifted to incorporate Dean in many ways. Others argue that Kerry has stolen Dean's message - I see it as a successful infiltration of our values and consider the money well-spent.

At this stage, however, I am still waiting for Kerry to start making a real case. Until now it's been a largely reactive campaign, and given the Iraq war chaos, numerous scandals, the 9-11 commission and Clarke, and the economic volatility, there has been no shortage of material with which Kerry could construct a narrative that conveys the message of Bush's fundamental incompetence to the vast American middle. Kerry is behind Bush in fund-rasing but is not short of funds by any means - and I don't believe that my dollar buys the same influence that it did under Dean.

But that may change. If Kerry catches fire soon I may indeed feel a need to help keep that momentum alive. And I am adding a Kerry donation button at left because I don't want there to be any doubt that we are united in our resolve. The link goes to Kos's donation page, not my own, because I think that if we in the blogsphere are going to make ourselves heard, we need to do so as a unified voice, that collectively is as large as any deep-pocketed special interest that may also fill Kerry's coffers. Part of leveraging our influence is doing so with one voice when the situation calls for it - that time is now. But I will wait, until it feels right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism