Wisconsin Still Fighting

Kerry may be up in the polls, but that doesn't mean Dean supporters in Wisconsin have thrown in the towel. I've mentioned before how the Dean rally in Madison was packed. I'll also add that college-age people took up less than half the crowd, which surprised even me considering he was basically on a college campus. Here, now is another statement of support for Dean from a newly registered voter in another city:

"So, by October 2002, I thought I had found a candidate. A major proponent of universal health coverage and someone opposed to the Second Gulf War. But that's not all that Governor Dean had to offer.

"As I looked into his record, I found more good stuff about him. He used his experience as a doctor to provide health care to 92% of Vermont's adults and 96% of its children. This is in a state that is not even in the top-half of the nation in income - if Dean can cover its citizens with health care, then surely he can do it as President of the richest nation in the world.

"Dr. Dean also balanced the budget as Vermont's governor, even though Vermont's constitution doesn't require it. This may not seem that important, but look at Wisconsin. Thanks to 16 years of mismanagement by Tommy Thompson and Co., Wisconsin now has a $4 billion deficit and is being forced to cut back on aid to local governments, reduce the money going to schools, and increase tuition to UW Universities. Vermont is not in that fix - they have a budget surplus and can fund social services, health care, and education without breaking the bank.

"Another stand of Dean's I admire is the Civil Unions bill he signed in Vermont. On November 7th, 2000, Vermont became the first state in the union to recognize that gay couples deserve the same legal rights as everyone else. Before this, gay partners could not be covered under each others' health insurance or make hospital visits. Thanks to Governor Dean, homosexuals in Vermont enjoy the same rights as everyone else and are not subject to discrimination from the state.
This stand took a lot of guts. Dean was forced to wear a bullet-proof vest on the campaign trail for Governor, as he received enough death threats that the State police became very concerned. He was the target of a very vicious campaign from the right-wing, but in the end, his stand won out. Vermont's voters elected him for the fifth time in a row."


By the way, the trolls here are getting downright funny. I wish I had a picture so you could all see how un-hippyish I look. Guess what? In 2002 I voted Republican for at least one of the statewide offices! And I'm for Dean! So tell me who's in the bubble again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

A fair solution to Jerusalem