Mad City!

Reporting from "Ping," an internet cafe in downtown Madison that's filled with kids skipping school to play some kind of Columbine game where they are all killing each other with guns and yelling out loud. It actually looks like a lot of fun but I'm of the Dungeons and Dragons era with dice and character profiles...

I just thought I'd slip a little commentary in. It's quiet here in Madison. It has been for the past couple of days. It's nothing like Iowa or New Hampshire, of course.

(DUDE! The kid next to me just got killed! DUDE!)

There were a couple of people passing out info about Dean on State Street yesterday. I ran into John Edwards's wife at the laundromat yesterday (Edwards campaign headquarters). She was kind and upbeat, the same way the Dean staffers are: staying positive and hopeful.

I decided to mix things up a bit and went to a Kerry rally at the Kohl Center where the Badgers play.

(HAAAAAAAAAAAA! I Killed you! And you! And You! And--DAMN! You killed me!)

Teresa Heinz put everybody asleep with another one of her speeches about John's dignity. In fact, she spoke more about the principal draw--Ted Kennedy and his dignity. The corraled crowd was extremely polite, a pretty good mix of people rapt with funeral amazement. More polished. More button downed. A midwestern crowd, though, unlike the drunk old Irish mafia crowd that propped Kerry up in New Hampshire.

The Kerry press relations chief made the mistake of letting me in the heavily secured corral. It's amazing where you can go if you throw a suit and tie on. Unlike the Dean rallies, this one again had all the big cross-armed young men keeping watch over all the ropes and gates.

I focused my site in on wobbly, old Ted Kennedy with thoughts of Kennedy Vs. Humphrey in the 1960 Wisconsin primary.

(Dude the System's down! Shit! Dude that was my Kill!)

I aimed at Ted Kennedy.

I fired.

"Do the Democrats owe Howard Dean?"

"Well, ahhhhhhhhh, Governor Dean gave me, ahhhhh, we, an important addition to the discussion..." blah blah blah

He was quickly hobbled away by an aide who looked like he had a bright future of politics in his eyes.

Walking out of the Kohl Center with my trophy bagged, my thought was,

WERE WE EVER DEMOCRATS? WERE THEY EVER GOING TO LET US BE DEMOCRATS?

(Bang! You're dead.)

Crossposted with DeanTV.org


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism