On the Cover of the Rolling Stone

Howard Dean is at his best one-one-one.

He seems to relax. His humanity and decency come through. He's articulate, smart, down-to-Earth. I think a lot of campaigns wish their candidates were this easy-going.

A few highlights from the Rolling Stone interview (but please read the whole thing):


You've really been getting attacked by your opponents out there on the campaign trail -- how does it make you feel?

Interestingly enough, I personalize things less now than I did when I was governor, in terms of attacks from other opponents and so forth. A lot of these attacks come across as personal, but they are mostly theater. But when they first started going after me, I couldn't believe it, because I knew a lot of those guys.



I like that concept, "they are mostly theater." Shows a great appreciation for the reality of politics. There's a bit more online, but at the bottom you will note these are "excerpts," so buy the magazine and let us know what you think.

That humanity also comes out from both the Doctors Dean in their joint interview with People.



Q: You've mentioned that you don't give him advice on politics or policy because it's not really where your interest is. Are there any issues that you feel passionate about that you do weigh in on — whether it's the environment or health care or any policy things at all?

Judy: I have my opinions on health care from my point of view, and he probably knows what they are because we talk about them. But it's not really giving advice. So I would say no, I don't really give advice.

Howard: Judy sort of functions as my Person-in-the-Street. The best kind of advice she gives me is, "You look like an idiot on television." She wouldn't say it that way, but, "You didn't do very well on television"' I'll never forget the first time we went to a speech that I was giving on a subject I knew not much about. And on the way home, I said, "Well, how did you think I did?" and she said, "Fair to poor, with the emphasis on poor," which, I had to admit, was probably exactly right.



Again, read the whole thing. I think they're good people.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism