Medical Deferments

By now, we've all heard the story about how Howard Dean got a medical deferment from Vietnam yet went skiing shortly thereafter. By now, of course, we know that even if he had gone AWOL from the National Guard, he would still be a viable candidate, but enough Americans have an understandable distaste for avoided military service that it might become a factor in a close race.

The reality, however, is this: The military standards for physical fitness are very high. When I was applying to colleges, I of course got the military recruiting me, as well. As you might imagine, they were persistent. Until I told them I had asthma, at which point one told me that even if I wanted to they couldn't take me. Yet this is a very mild asthma that has never prevented me from doing any physical activity I wanted. I have a friend who was for a time excited about joining the army. However, he didn't make it, and told me there were physical reasons. Even during Vietnam, these standards were high. I know one man who has sub-par vision in one eye, and for that reason was rejected by the Vietnam-era military. And I'll dare anyone to compare the rigors of war to those of a weekend skiing.

I'm sure Dean would be a stronger candidate if he had Kerry's or Clark's war record, but we're electing candidates, not designing them. And the most important criteria for election is who representes the best political leader for the present, not the best war hero from the past. After all, both Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon fought in World War II. Johnson even had a Silver Star. This did not do the troops in Vietnam a whole world of good. What we need to consider is which potential President has the sound judgement and courage of his convictions today, not the best health 30 years ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism