Abortion, Meet World

Let me say in advance, this post may get me kicked out of all the clubs -- however, I am as sick and tired of NOW dictating reproductive policy to Dems as I am of the AARP dictating senior policy.

I'm an adoptee, born in 1970, adopted at 3 months old by a loving couple in a small California town by two people who feared they could not have healthy children. This was three years before Roe v. Wade, and had that decision been made sooner, I simply could not be typing this. If I was ever so much, just, slightly, younger. My biological mother was sixteen years old. I am, by all accounts, a person born of an unwanted pregnancy.

Nonetheless, I am pro-choice -- however, I am strongly anti-abortion. Where do I fit? And, can Howard Dean, a doctor, change the way we view things?

Both parties have acquiesced horribly on this score and America loses overall on the issue of abortion. The knee-jerk liberal response -- "Pro-Choice" -- and the knee-jerk conservative response -- "Anti-Abortion, Outlaw it All" -- have failed, miserably.

Listen, abortion simply sucks. Outlawing it entirely is stupid. Preventing it is key. I completely support the morning-after pill (which I hear prevents fertilization) and if Republicans put their money where their mouth is, they will wake up and support any effort to provide both this drug to more women and greater access to birth control.

Perhaps I digress. Let me say it again: I hate abortion. Had it been legal in 1970, I would not be alive today.

In a nation that has embraced open adoption, and with so many infertile parents wishing for children, I must ask: why?

The so-called Republican high-ground is gone, and Democrats need to step up to the plate and tell the truth. Will Dean? He's attacked the regressive payroll tax, will he attack a culture -- on both sides -- that are doing nothing, NOTHING, to prevent abortion in America?

I've been shy to discuss this, because, after all, a gay man who does not face the challenges of heterosexuals should be shy, but I will no longer be silent. I would not be here if I were (poised to be) 29 rather than 33 -- and if you were me, what would you think?

If you wish to send me hate-mail, send it to MissivesWest@yahoo.com. Again, I am STRONGLY pro-choice. However, we need a new, bi-partisan solution to the abortion crisis in America. Dump the rhetoric, I want solutions.

Crossposted at Points West

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism