Jimmy Carter on Dean

from a TIME magazine interview with Jimmy Carter:

THE DEAN CAMPAIGN EVOKES SOME MEMORIES OF YOUR CANDIDACY IN '76. WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF HIS CHANCES? He seems to be doing quite well. He came down to Georgia when he was just planning the campaign and talked to me and my wife about the basic tactics of '76. On occasion, he has called me to give me a report on his campaign or to ask a question.

ARE YOU A SUPPORTER OF HIS CANDIDACY? No, I'm going to support whoever I think will have the best chance next November.

WAS DEAN OFFENSIVE OR JUST TOO HONEST IN SAYING HE WANTED THE SUPPORT OF "GUYS WITH CONFEDERATE FLAGS IN THEIR PICKUP TRUCKS"? As I told him afterward, if you had just said you want the support of Southern whites that drive pickup trucks, the same message would have got across. But when he threw in the Confederate flag, it showed a little bit of an incompatibility with national opinion.

DO ANY OF THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES HAVE A CHANCE AGAINST BUSH? It depends on two things. One is what's going on in Iraq and the war against terrorism. And the other is the economy. I think it's too early to say what's going to be happening in either.

From the Dec. 08, 2003 issue of TIME magazine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism