Sen. Change-Your-Opinion-for-Expediency

Today, Sen. Change-Your-Opinion-for-Expediency, decided to not to accept federal matching funds in the primary race. My initial response was quite good. If by some flook he is actually able to win the nomination, this way he will not be a sitting duck against President Bush between securing the nomination and the convention. Then, I read is statement/excuse:
I wish Howard Dean had kept his promise to stay within the campaign finance system. But he did not. He changed the rules of this race - and anyone with a real shot at the nomination must now play by those rules. And today, let me be clear: I'm in this campaign to win the nomination and to defeat George Bush next November.

I'll admit, I'm not an expert on the campaign finance system, so please correct me in the comments if I'm wrong here. But my understanding is the choice at hand is: 1) Accept a large check from the government matching certain funds raised and spend this money during the primary season against your fellow Democratic candidates, or 2) Don't accept the large government check, take only the money that you earn from fundraising and you are not restricted to spending caps leading up to the convention. It seems to me that the Democratic candidates opting for option two will actually have less money, not more to battle it out in the primary this way. To say that he had to take the money because Howard Dean changed the rules is a miserable excuse. Am I right here?

Also, it will be a true test for Kerry's fellow Washington Tagteam members to see if they criticize the senator as they did Gov. Dean for the same action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism