Clark campaign manager resigns

When I heard this news last night I knew I had to post something, but I wanted to wait for a day and digest the fallout in the blogosphere and mainstream media. Here's my take on this. And bear with me, as this is probably going to be a long-range thought.
First, I've heard the rumors about the Draft Clark movement being manufactured. Since it's all smoke right now, I will not speculate whether that's true or not. But Fowler resigning does indicate that there is a problem between the Washington-insiders who've taken over Clark's campaign and Clark's core devotees. Whether these devotees were egged on by the same insiders who seem to have blown off the Clarkroots, well, that's still unclear at this point.
Then we have this post on DraftClark.com. The author, a long time Clark devotee and member of the draft movement, levels accusations of law-breaking and offers some advice to Clark on how to clean up his mess of a campaign. Wondering what the hell he was talking about, I googled and found this article, which states Clark may have violated FEC rules by getting paid to speak after he announced his candidacy. The issue hinges not on whether Clark spoke and got paid (he did), but whether these forums were used (purposefully or inadvertently) to advance his political aspirations. Again, I won't speculate as to what this will mean in the long run. But it is looking like there might be some fire under that smoke.
Then we get the news of Fowler's resignation. The only thing I want to know is whether Team Clark is truly blowing off the Clarkroots. Fowler seems to think so, but since I have not been deeply involved in that movement I cannot speak to the veracity of that claim. But on top of Fowler, there is this from Kos, who is in a position to know.
Basically what we have here is a ton of rumor and innuendo, and it's going to take a few more days for all the chips to fall. But if there is indeed a problem within Team Clark, here is what I have to say about it.
First, to the Dean campaign, keep up the good work. You folks are blazing the open-source politics trail, and we are proud to be part of this movement.
Second, to the Clarkroots, IF you are being blown off, might I suggest that you come over and join us. The Dean campaign truly has an open-door/open-source style of campaigning. You would be welcomed with open arms if you joined us. You would be free to innovate, to give and receive feedback, and play a major role in this campaign. Just keep in mind that if you ever need a new place to call home you've got one with us.

I was originally a Dean/Clark advocate because I believed that team was capable of delivering a knockout punch to BushCo. I still believe - even with all the rumor and innuendo that's been floated about Clark - that D/C is the best ticket we could offer up in 2004 (and this is going against my personal preference of Dean/Edwards). So Clarkroots, take note of what's happening with your guy right now. If his Washington-insiders falter and the campaign stumbles, join us. Imagine how powerful we could be if we joined forces. The numbers one and two grassroots organisations in Democratic politics could shake the foundations of our democracy and change the system so that special interest will no longer trump the peoples' interests. Just think about it for a moment. We can do this. We have the power. If you feel the need to leave the Clarksphere, join us. We welcome you with open arms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism