Support the Troops, Oppose the War

Ellis Henican of Newsday writes a nice column lauding Dean's nuanced position on the upcoming military action in Iraq. He quotes family members, moms and dads, who have kids in the Persian Gulf.

An excerpt:

Support the troops, oppose the war: For Charley Richardson, that's where real patriotism lies, as he and his son wait for their president's call.

"Why do people have such a hard time with this concept?" this one Marine father asked. "If I saw my son getting into a car with a drunk driver, I would lay down in the middle of the street to keep that car from moving. I would do anything I could. "For me to stand on the side of the road and salute would be ridiculous." Opposition to this war is deep and wide.

Howard Dean, the former Vermont governor now lighting up the Democratic presidential race, vowed to stay on the case.

"I went to Parris Island so I could look into the faces of the kids who will be sent to Iraq," Dean told a cheering lunchtime crowd in Concord, N.H. "We should always support our kids, but I do not support this president's policies and I will continue to say so."

It's telling that there are military families with kids in the Persian Gulf who remain opposed to this action, and who can understand the need - indeed, they feel compelled - to speak out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Saudi Arabia

Five Things Dean Supporters Can Do Right Now to Fight Terrorism